Friday, February 8, 2008

Inter-View!!

Inter-View!!

For many being on Tech Panel/Interview Panel is fun, for others its responsibility. I am not sure which group i belong to. I have been taking interviews since last few days and as they are telephonic i miss the fun of various expressions on the candidates. Before you think i am getting insensitive let me make it clear that i have attended interviews ( very obvious. isnt it!) and have my own opinions on differnt interviewers. Well lets talk about that next time.

Its nearly two and half years that i started to grill the Can-Die-Dates. And yes. Now its no more called as interview. Its Technical Discussion. Well you can discuss technical matters with the guys who actually have technical expertise. Earlier we could make out the candidate's expertise based on his profile. Not now. Times have changed. Like everything else around us its "Fake" that rules. Sample this from a candidate whose profile mentioned MCA,BCA,MSCD and some complex projects.

Me: What are various Authentication methods?Mr. MCA : There are four. ( I was happy to know that ). Read commited. (Now where the hell did this come from ). In Read commited.....

Considering this was the 6th candidate of the day, just imagine where i wanted to run. Bermuda Triangle is a nice option.

Few interviews are more intresting than a bollywood masala movie. Hold your breath.

Me: Can you brief me on page life cycle?

Can-Die-Date: Hmm.. Aaaa. hmm.. i am not sure... wait i got it...(Go ahead i am waiting) page life cycle has 4 events...(finally somewhat near)..In first event IIS is requested ( What!!! )... then...Sorry i forgot. ( Thank god!)

Me: No issues. Are you aware of generics?Can-Die-Date: In SQL or C Sharp?

Me: Forget it. (Burmuda Triangle is not too far now.)

And there are some guys who think they are smart enough to waylay the interviewer.

Me: If you want to have javascript function built dynamically and then executed what would you do?

Mr. Samrt : I write javascript functions in aspx page and then call them dynamically.

Me: Well my point was how do you generate javascript function dynamically. I dont want to write it in aspx page during design time. i want it in run time.

Mr.Samrt: Why runtime? You can write during design time.

Me: OK. Are you aware of RegisterClientScript? ( I made it direct question )Mr. Smart : I know it but i havent used it. ( common excuse. Huh!)

Me: what you know about it?Mr. Smart : Its used to Register Client Script. (So simple. Just repeat.)

Me: what kind of client script? ( I am not gonna give up you smarty !)Mr. Smart : Client script can be anything. There are basically two scripting languages. Most commonly used is javscript. VB script can also be used. We write script in a file and save it. Then compile them and use RegisterClientScript command to register them in GAC. (Wow!! Bill Gates can join me in Bermuda triangle)

Then there are few who try to work on sympathy.

Me: How have you used webservices in your project?Mr Tears : Actually. we are a team of 4. I worked on UI part. ( Do you think doing UI is development or coding???? ). Other guys worked on Data Access Layer. He developed webservices. I wanted to do it but my Team Lead didnt allow me to. I lacked exposure. But i know about webservices. Given a chance in your company i will prove myself.

Me: Ok. No Issues. But you have mentioned Design and Development as your responsibility in the CV. so...

Mr. Tears: My company is not doing well. So i am looking for a nice company like yours. To get a call i mentioned that.

Me: Ok. What is a abstract class.Mr. Tears: As i told you earlier i didnot get opportunity to work on Business Layer. So I am not sure. ( What i am not sure is how you got into that company and why should they pay you at all if they havent stopped it already.)

Me : Ok. Was nice talking to you. ( can somebody get me a shotgun! ) Our HR will get back to you soon. ( To tell you we are not as charity minded as your existing company ).

Ofcourse how can romance be out of bollywood movie. This is part of my interview with a girl two months back.

Me: Hi. This is Ram from KPIT Cummins. You have technical discussion scheduled now. Are you ready to take it up?

Heroine: Hi..( Tone sounds she is talking to her boyfriend.) How are you?

Me: (Hmm. Some change finally) I am fine. How about you? (Showing social manners. Nothing much to read into that.)

Heroine: Great.Me: Ok. Can we go ahead with the discussion?

Heroine: Ok.Me: Just brief me about yourself to start with. ( Brief = Detail. Your voice sounds so cute. Ok Ok. I have to be professional)

Heroine: I am D____. I have two years of experince. I am currently working as Associate Software Engineer at _____. My current project is ...( Forget that. Do you have openings in your company and more importantly in your project? I will check out with A___. He should be knowing. )

Heroine: Hello. Can you hear me?Me: (Back to reality ). Oh. go Ahead. i am listening.

Heroine: do you want me to repeat.Me: I mean tell me something about the technologies you have worked on.

Heroine: I have been working on .Net. In my first project....( Why the hell is this telephonic. I will clear her for second round. At least then...)

Heroine:Hello!Me: Ya. Ok. What is CLR? ( simple questions! It will make it easy)

Heroine: CLR? hmmm..( Common. its simple honey!)

Heroine: Hmmm. I am sorry.

Me: Ok No issues. Are you aware of Common Language Runtime?

Heroine: Yeah. Its one of the main features of .Net...(See. She knows CLR.)

Me: Good. How does Garbage collector work?Heroine: It collects all objects in the memory and clears. ( Not bad. Close enough )

Me: Can you brief me on Page life cycle?Heroine: Hmmm... Sorry. i havent worked on that. ( Plase tell me you mean asp.net )

Me: But you have mentioned project on asp.net. Right?Heroine: I have worked on ASP.Net. But have not worked on Page life Cycle. ( Ok Ok. She is bit nervous. understandable.)

Me: You have worked on page life cycle. I mean everytime you request a aspx page and write code in its various events you work on it. ( This is true technical discussion guys. Not interview.

Heroine: Oh Ok. Thanks

Me: What was your responsibility in the project?Heroine: you mean my work.

Me: Well. you put it that way.Heroine: I used to do coding.

Me: How do you debug an asp.net application? (Final test for "Fake". )Heroine: Testing team gives us the list of bugs. They send the excel sheet. Our Team lead assigns the tasks and we fix them. ( Its confirmed. Shez "Fake". so bad.)

Me: Ok. Great. I am done with Technical Discussion ( And my small dream ). Do you have anything to say.Heroine: No. Hope i did well. By the way how many years of experience do you have?

Me: 6 Years.Heroine: Oh God! You are quite experienced. ( I am honey! )

Me: Thanks. Our HR will get back to you soon. By the way please brush up on fundamentals.

Heroine: You mean i have second round. (How optimistic. Poor girl. )Me: Actually i shouldnt be disclosing this. You are not through. I am sorry. ( It always hurts to break a hurt and if its of cute sounding gal...Bermuda triangle has girls??? )

Heroine: Oh. Ok. i will try to be well prepared next time. Thanks.Me: Have a nice day. ( Its stupidity to wish nice day after breaking the bad news.) Bye.

Heroine: Can you give me your email id? Can you give me few tips and guide me?Me: Hmm. I suppose i am not allowed to share my email id with candidate. Sorry. ( No need to get senti.)

Heroine: Oh. Bye.

But all in all i miss the interviews i used to conduct at PacSoft. And mainly the ones where i and my Atte used to build
a assault strategy on candidates step by step. Hope atte you remember them. :)

No comments: